Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Popcorn tin bucket tent backpack wood stove, part 2: the baffle and secondary burn lining

So continued to scavenge the Free Craig's List Barbeque grill I got - so this heavier metal protects the walls.

Luckily the dimensions of this metal fit perfectly - so I just MacGyvered it - as usual.


Richard Dean Anderson - Wikipedia


Richard Dean Anderson (born January 23, 1950) is an American actor and producer. He began ... Anderson was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, the oldest of four sons born to Stuart Jay Anderson, a teacher and Jocelyn Rhae Carter, an artist. ... Anderson came to fame in the lead role of Angus MacGyver in the hit television ...

 So this is such a snug fit that it does not move at all.

And now the stove is more than double in weight - so it's heavy metal to be sure.

Suddenly I realized - now I still need a door - or do it? I could lot it from the bottom with wood. But I still need to make sure the air flow is correct.

So I decided to remove the top connector - and use that as a baffle for the smoke exhaust - so I get a secondary burn for more heat and less smoke.

This is more cut out grill pieces for the bottom of the stove - for air flow underneath.

So then I cut out one more connector piece - after moving the first one - and so that is the baffle to block smoke, thereby forcing the flame back into itself for a re-burn. It's not all blocked - so I still have some draft.

Baffle from above.

I can adjust these parts as needed.

Let's see if I can still get the chimney pipe to fit in.

That was awesome! Just as I hoped - when I pushed in the duct flue chimney then it tighted up the baffle pieces snug against the side metal.

It's hard to make up but the upper left is the end of the chimney pipe going in from the top. Then there's a slight lighter color line diagonal that is the baffle below.

So from the outside it looks exactly the same as before - but now the stove without the chimney weights 3 pounds - still not too heavy for a backpack! The chimney pipe should double that weight but I could get some cookie sheets that are steel - roll them up and use those for portable light chimney pipe. I will look into the chimney design later.

Now I need to figure out the door situation.


No comments:

Post a Comment