Tuesday, January 21, 2020

2.4 gallon steel waste basket (trash can) tent backpacking wood stove made!

So five hours later!! I have a tent backpacking wood stove MADE - it is fully functional but I have not tried it out yet.... maybe I'll climb the hill to try it out.

Above is the latch - again I salvaged from the Free Craig's List grill (the latch was part of the carrying box for that grill)....

Here is the door - it is the lid of the popcorn bucket. That popcorn bucket is way too flimsy metal - too thin. I will probably need to replace this door as it's very wobbly. But as I said - it is functional right now (although barely)!!

Wow this photo turned out better than I expected - so you can see the baffle I put in. I made sure the baffle is permanently attached. It doesn't really block the smoke but will delay it about half as much. This stove won't have as much of a draft - so the baffle can't be too much blocking. And I reused that heavy metal again to line the walls of the stove - and base.

Wow another great shot - this time you can really see the baffle. That duct pipe is in there SO tight that I could not pull it out. I will have to really pull hard.

Here was go again - so that will keep air space in the stove with the wood on the thick metal and the air coming in from the ends.

So again this was so tight a fit that I'm not sure I can even get it out!!

This metal is really shiny - so lots of reflections.

It looks like a crack but again it's so tight that the duct pipe must be pushing up against the metal that I had "peened" down.

The waste basket tent backpack wood stove!!

So now I need to make a stand - I have some things that work as a make-shift stand - from the grill set. I will need more duct pipe - and again I may want to use cookie sheets that are steel - and you can roll up. So lighter metal and can be rolled together for backpacking.

This stove is probably 10 inches high and 7 1/2 inches wide (diameter) ... the metal is way thicker and stronger than the popcorn tin - and also again I have that extra metal inside - so it should last a long time.

I'm proud of it - but the hinge did not work right. I just had to study how to attach the hinge and the metal popcorn lid is too flimsy to hold the hinge. So also - those popcorn tins with popcorn are $27!! Way too expensive! I got mine for free but I destroyed it accidentally. So I'm really glad that instead I used this waste basket. I found a similarly designed waste basket that sells for $40 -

Add a touch of simplicity to your bathroom décor with the Bath Bliss Wastebasket. This sleek, circular shaped wastebasket is crafted of durable stainless steel with a satin finish.
  • Perfect to give any small space such as a bathroom or office a modern feel
  • Measures 8" L x 8" W x 11" H
  • Metal
  • Imported
$20 - for a similar steel waste basket

So again that Popcorn Tin for $27 with corn syrup popcorn? What a rip off!!

So those dimensions come out to about 2.4 gallons - so there are LOTS of 5 gallon tent stoves on youtube DIY - but NO tent stoves of this size of a waste bucket - 2.4 gallons (HALF the 5 gallon size!).... there's also lots of 1 gallon paint can or coffee can wood stove vids. Again NO 2 1/2 gallon wood stove vids!!

I might have to post it - if I get it fired up. If it works. Then I can make a video of it. I'll try tomorrow.

I just did a tent-hut Two Dog stove night that was down to minus 25 celsius. Your point about 5convection heating the air instead of an open fire creating water vapor and co2 - excellent! I had never made that connection to why I like wood stoves so much - nothing better then drying off wet clothes in the winter. I'll test my new 2.4 gallon waste bucket stove tomorrow - need to make some legs. You clued me in on how to attach the hinge. I couldn't figure it out today - must have been the garage cold slowing my brain down. haha. Yeah when you say it's a "youtube trend" - indeed! So you got your ammo stoves, the paint can stoves, the 5 gallon metal bucket stoves, the beer keg stoves, the various rocket stoves, the mass heater rocket stoves - and even a few popcorn bucket tin stoves! I tried making one but the metal is way too thin. My door is the lid of the popcorn bucket - and it's probably too thin for that also.



No comments:

Post a Comment