Saturday, August 19, 2023

Human Humus MycoToilet Machine update!

 We are testing effectiveness in lab trials over the next 6 months, followed by a field installation  at the UBC Botanical garden next summer.

I got this reply on my

Re: MycoToilet details?

from the Professor leading the study!!

 

Wow Professor Dahmen! Thank you! that is exciting news! I am planning on building the "Human Humus Machine" developed by Sun Front owner, Ph.D. Larry Schussler - http://www.sunfrost.com/human_humus_machine_composting_toilet.html he no longer makes it but we talked on the phone. It aerates with a compost screw auger that is 29 inches long - and then there's a barrel hand pump in 55 gallons (to feed back the leachate on top) and a 4 inch vent pipe to outside for aeration. 
So I'll set up in Northern Minnesota - the 55 gallon barrel should get thermophilic. I grow mushrooms as a farmer but just Shiitake on logs in the forest. I'm starting up Winecap on wood chips. So then eventually I'll pull a permit for a primary residence using "year round composting." I figure the Human Humus MycoToilet Machine should get past the county planners! 
I already talked to the On-Site Waste planning manager and he said he thinks a "year round composting toilet can be permitted." !! That was before I discovered the MycoToilet - so I think that MycoToilet would be a crucial component especially for indoor composting. The county permits composting toilets as a "privy" but we need indoors in the winter in Minnesota. haha. That Clivus Multrum is $5000 plus shipping for a "moldering" composter that is about 280 gallons capacity and it has a drain pipe! We don't want any drain pipe on a composting toilet! While this Human Humus MycoToilet Machine would be just $600....for two 55 gallon barrels and a two year compost cycle....with no leachate drain pipe.
All the best,

drew hempel

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment