Friday, July 1, 2022

My Foray into car mechanic repair - destruction! Control Arm aka Trailing Arm aka Lateral Arm

 

Before the Rustoleum Phosphoric Acid treatment

After treatment


Pretty sure I destroyed the bushings with my phosphoric acid treatment since now I have a lot of "lateral" movement of the rear end of the vehicle....

So the Trailer Arm aka Lateral Arm aka Control Arm is to hold the rear Body to the Rear Differential when turning....I thought maybe I could NOT replace the trailer arms by just doing this phosphoric acid treatment. Turns out Civilization is Sensitive and now I have MORE lateral movement. The mechanic who did the alignment after my suspension part replacement - he was the one who said the Lateral Arms need to be replaced since they have rust rot.

Actually it's the Bushings that are really bad - not the rust. haha. Oops. I really damaged the bushings now with my phosphoric acid. New parts to arrive in a couple days.

Today I used the NEW 3 ton jack to get at the Front Differential oil fluid. I got that new Titan Seal silicone polymer oil leak repair. I put in four ounces. It was very tricky. I HAD to use the impact driver to get that nut off - 18 mm. The Breaker Bar did not work. It's a tight fit but the impact driver works well.

That was my FIRST time using an impact driver and it's cordless - I got it discounted at Harbor Fright. I just happened to see their "Open Box" discount section. I wasn't even sure what I would use that impact driver would be good for. hahaha.

I had to use this hand pump to get in the new Titan Seal repair oil - and it was very tricky on the gravel road. Not sure if I was suppose to use a jack or not on gravel but I survived!!


So that's the Trailing Arm Mount - and the bushing is inside there. The new part shows up in a few days. I'll paint it with rust treatment paint and then an enamel paint ... Then put in the new part.

I think the old bolts are probably rusted out. I tried to order new bolts but couldn't find the 21 mm bolts I need... I mean for this particular part. Some people claim this part is not available - like my local mechanic. But I found the new part - a set of four "control arms." Maybe people can't find the part since they call it a "lateral arm" as he insisted it was called. haha. It's a Trailing arm or lateral arm or control arm!! When I said, "I thought it was called a control arm" - he goes no that's only in the front. 

But when I bought the part it's definitely listed as a "control arm." hahaha.


Yesterday the jack stand got some rust rot out of the frame but there was no hole in the frame - just a layer of rust. haha. So I treated it with rustoleum phosphoric acid. I need to paint that spot again. I need to check the front area - to see if that revealed any hidden rust or not?

At least the Jack Stand held and I'm still alive!!







No comments:

Post a Comment