Wednesday, March 23, 2022

converting to a Chestnut tree farm at EcoEcho Cultivation: Phil Rutter and Badgersett Farm

I emailed Badgersett and I never got a response yet. We'll see - I'll wait a week. I guess this won't happen. It would be very labor intensive anyway. I'm going to file taxes as a freelance writer instead of a mushroom farmer. thanks.

 

 https://chestnuthilltreefarm.com/learning-center/chestnut-orcharding/

Badgersett Tree Nut farm interview 

I planted over 20 chestnut trees on our previous land and I used deer fencing - since the deer were feasting. I also had to hand kill the bugs eating the new tubelings. I recently checked on the trees and they seemed to be doing well - I could only see a few over the neighbors fence at our previous land. I didn't want to disturb the new owners as that's their privacy to choose what to do with the trees. As far as I can tell they were excited about the "agroecology farm" report I had left them - they told us just as much.

https://www.shelbynews.com/opinion/friday-conversations-with-phil/article_8c69ec18-c99b-50ba-a379-e84b2a510b7d.html 

 So that's the most recent "news" I can find! Their website and facebook and twitter were last active in 2018. But there is gossip of people still buying from them during the pandemic in 2020....

Now in his late 60s, he is a fascinating man with an extraordinarily active mind.Although I’m frequently lost when he gets into his experiments with genetic modifications, or how geological formations affect cultures, or Eastern musical scales, etc., our conversations always make me think.

 Maybe he read my research! haha.

Phil doesn’t have air conditioning – or a refrigerator, or a telephone or many other conveniences and distractions. Like many ‘thinkers,” he shakes his head as those around him tamper with the environment. Nature and evolution, he says, have been experimenting with things for millions of years. We see the successes all around us; the failures disappear. This relatively new creature who calls himself “homo sapiens” has been “improving” things for the past four or five centuries.

 Ah so that's why they haven't updated their blog? Probably lost the "help" that was doing their "tech" stuff....

 2015

 trees that can produce 2,000 pounds per acre,

 Chestnut Peeling Vid - Phil Rutter's youtube channel

 Chestnut trees line snowy pathways.

 https://www.mprnews.org/story/2016/01/27/minnesota-chestnut-tree-hybrid-excites-researchers

 See those look a LOT closer than 25 feet yet 25 feet is what people say online... so I emailed to ask. My trees I planted were too far away even though I did get a few chestnuts after a few years! haha.

I think these "hybrid" chestnuts are more like bushes? So closer together?

I have to read their blog more. 


 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment