Monday, June 22, 2020

Ordered new rear differential cover - with fill and drain plugs!

https://yourcovers.com/diffcover_11035.php

I ordered your cover and the dealer said it will install it! We already paid for them claiming to have replaced the rear diff fluid and the rear diff gasket - but it was still leaking and I discovered the fill plug was all rusted out. So I needed a new cover that has a fill plug and drain plug! Thanks so much for making these.

 
YourCoversPML
Thank you for ordering a PML cover!
 Voidisyinyang Voidisyinyang
@YourCoversPML It took me awhile to discover your website since the 8 inch diameter diff cover is not listed on Amazon. Since you all have the best explanation of why the cover should fit - and this vid as well - and most crucially - the fill/drain plugs - I am very excited to have this installed. Our rear diff is leaking and the dealer claimed to have refilled the diff fluid! It was still leaking - so I checked the fill plug to discover it had rusted out - rounded out - stripped. So the dealer says since we already paid for them claiming they had replaced the diff fluid (and replaced the gasket) - they will install your cover for no labor charge. That way I know for sure they also refilled the diff fluid! haha.
Front of cover

So I just got back from the dealer - and showed them the numerous photos I took - of the rear differential still leaking - and the rusted out stripped out fill plug.

I said I had ordered a new cover that has the fill plug included and asking to have it done there.

He said yes and asked if the part was being delivered there or if I had the part in the car. Nope. Just ordered it this am!
Inside of Cover

Took me a couple hours to track down that part! But it's the only company that explained the difference between the 8 inch differential and the 8.6 is the "depth" of the cover.

Also they have an installation vid included.

So the part is not cheap but it will fix the rear differential leak and - the dealer already claimed to have replaced the rear differential fluid and gasket. So I said - I'm assuming you're not going to charge us for that since we already paid for it!

So they agreed to do it - and I have the photos as evidence that it was not done the first time.
Yeah we can cover the labor.
So we'll see what happens - right now I'm getting the transmission filter changed and the transmission pan dropped and cleaned out and then more transmission fluid added - probably 4 quarts or 6 quarts.

So I said - can you recheck the front differential work - I'm assuming they were able to crack those bolts since it's easier on the front. He said yes.

But who knows? haha. So when I get the new cover installed at the dealer - then I'll bring it to our local mechanic and ask him to look at the front differential - to see if he thinks it got refilled, etc. - he can check the level on it. He could even do it - if he thinks it's dirty, etc.

the dealer also claimed to have replaced the rear pinion seal on the differential and the pinion seal at the U joint for the drive shaft and before the front differential.

So those areas are not leaking - as far as I can tell - so who knows if they did it or not? They said they had done the rear differential when they had not. oops!!

So once that new cover is installed with the new fluid - then I can just rust treat the previously fill plug that is rusted out. And then spray it with Cosmoline - wax - to prevent new rust.
thanks - is it possible to make a dip stick - so you could measure when it hits bottom - mark that length. Then externally measure the length of parallel to the level check on carrier. Then mark that length on the dipstick (so you have the difference from the top hole to the carrier hole parallel on the pml cover). Then fill oil - stick in dip stick - and keep filling until the dipstick level is achieve (at the carrier level length measured from the parallel line on the PML cover). Does anyone do something like this? thanks

Fascinating! thanks for the feedback. I JUST got back from the dealer. I just ordered on my own a new cover this am - for the 8 inch diff - and it has the fill plug and drain plug included - https://yourcovers.com/diffcover_11035.php So I showed the dealer the photos I took of the leaking cover - they claimed to have replaced the gasket on the cover. But it was still leaking. So I was not going to debate them if they actually did the work or not. They agreed to install the new part once I get it delivered here. haha. I said - since we already paid for the previous work then I'm assuming we will not get charged. I showed him the photo of the fill plug - and he did not try to claim that they had filled the fluid anyway. I did ask him the check the air vent to see if it was plugged - since that could be why it is leaking - due to pressure when it is hot. It only leaks when hot. So anyway - he said they would check the air vents. But who knows what they have done or will do! I said - can you recheck the front differential fluid - since I'm assuming those bolts got cracked open as they're easier to open? He said - yea. Of course they said the work was done but who knows? But I will have the local mechanic recheck it. Supposedly the pinion seals got replaced also - at the U joint and in front of the rear differential. Hmm. Hopefully the local mechanic will be able to see if they did that - all I know is those areas are not leaking - but the rear differential was definitely leaking - if not worse than before. So had to say what happened - the cover had grit on it - it didn't look like it had been cleaned at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment