Sunday, June 21, 2020

Can anyone tell if this differential fill plug has been opened or not? Stripped! Not opened.

I realize it's rusted out and needs to be replaced - but does anyone think the dealer did not even refill the differential fluid?

Here's another one:

Please look at these photos I just took of my rear differential fill plug. https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh7WKmSFjVPwRKLau-VruCiAFUU1mBvqsUSVd8JLo7X9IESOlt9tsL5FXnXCk1Yfv_Vbciwv5yBeLOToPttLOHzwMxgiLWTD-WNUXGBn-6katg3hKkH1yQisFNMj57qdnlMGFjCFc08SxI/s1600/IMG_1034.jpg and https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjRZTLjE10OwO8g4oktQCfhAkINX50XoMpSWrzmXXysUMf4OjqBxDbkH0x8JnEOfkuzxQ9q_GBWgzqiC1F_ZkVDLVfgaYnJAH0T3i_3T80HW_mGTk1JTVvYDNbt-FP7cjbWhAiEGJ6cUDY/s1600/IMG_1036.jpg The dealer supposedly FILLED my rear differential fluid! Do you think those have been cracked open a few days ago? I obviously will ask for the plug to be replaced since it's rusted out but I can not tell for SURE if it's been not opened.

Someone had their's seized up
I'm pretty sure that plug was never opened before. the previous owner who I bought it from did not maintain it well at all.
 Stripped differential fill plug - vid

So based on this FIRST vid - those photos above definitely do not look like the plug was taken out! amazing. I got charged for it!! 

Another one:

Stripped differential fill plug vid 2

So the dealer HAS to be able to refill the differential fluid if they are going to fix the rear differential cover leak. Since it is still leaking and since the plug obviously has not been opened - THEREFORE they did not fix the leak (replace the gasket and cover) NOR did they refill the fluid - for the back.

I can not confirm what happened in the front differential - I need to look but we can assume the same rust - unless it's under the skid plate?

anyway so that is about $400 of work that got paid for - which looks to have been NOT done at all. oops.

Maybe they did the rear diff pinion seal? But I doubt it...

Ok it is a 3/4 Inch socket - so I'm gonna try crack it open and see if I can do it - or if it is stripped out!

That will prove this once and for all.

OK the hardware store did not have 3/4 inch - too big! So then the auto parts store a block away - they had it but only as part of a socket set. So $22 to find out the truth - did the rear differential fill plug get opened or not?

waiting for the car to cool down.

Now - what size is the front diff fill plug and where is it?

18 MM ?

strange - vid

Oh he says it's 3/8 inch! oops

Someone on another comment said it's 3/4.

Oh well.

Yep - it's definitely NOT 3/4 - it's 3/8. oops. I do have a 3/8 already.

OH the PLUG size is 3/4 inch - the socket size is 3/8

https://www.trailvoy.com/threads/front-differential-fill-plug-size-ive-tried-17mm-too-small-19mm-too-big.63603/

Yep it's official - the 3/8 inch would not even stay in the socket hole. So the rust stripped it out.

Also the dealer never changed the rear diff fluid - nor changed the gasket.

I doubt they did any of the other work either on the differential. oops.

OK so now I will need a new differential cover that has a fill plug hole - and I will leave the rusted out plug as is - just treat the rust. Then I can drain/fill via the new cover.  I have to order it.

Question is - will the dealer put it in for us and do the work - for free? Probably not. haha.



No comments:

Post a Comment