Monday, January 27, 2020

The case for a Lower Center of Gravity: Vagaries of Installing new stove legs!! Photos and vids

I'm gonna use 4 inch round head machine screws since a 4 inch stove bolt has to be specially ordered. Is that workable? Also what's the outer diameter on the inner and outer washers? I didn't see wide 1/4 inch inner diameter washers like that. thanks - it's a "fender" washer? 1/4" x 1" OD Zinc Plated Finish Low Carbon Steel Fender Washers, - ok that works.
This titanium stove has very similar leg angles that I also made!


I found the larger diameter fender washers at Home depot a few bins over from the rest of the washers. The o.d. is 1.25in. The HD part number is 2642 stamped on the washer up here in Canada. Not sure if it's the same in the US but look for 'fender' washers. Hope that helps.

@Dave's Bullets & Real Survival thanks! I was trying to read that number. Yeah machine screw nuts are 40 cents each!! So I'm getting probably $20 for the parts to make the legs. That's the only money I'll put into this stove so far - I used a waste basket - did you see my vids yet? haha. So I have a secondary air channel and baffle - get a rocket roar sound. So then is your inner washer in the stove - just a 3/4 inch I suppose for OD? Probably doesn't matter too much. I didn't think that bolts and nuts and washers would be so pricey. haha. Yeah they're called "coupling nuts" here - and then there's an assorted stove bolt kit for $2 - that has the half inch stove bolts. Well see what happens! thanks again - I'm going to Menards - not HD. I've had too many bad HD experiences. haha.

 

@Voidisyinyang Voidisyinyang ok, good luck with it all. Your design sounds very interesting. I will check it out. 👍


 

@Dave's Bullets & Real Survival I put the legs on! I wanted it to sit lower so it would be more stable. Also I have the extra stronger steel inside - so the stove should be cool enough as it doesn't get too hot on the outside. I should probably add a damper. I will post photos. I suppose I could always bend the bolts a little but probably shouldn't mess with them. haha.
 yeah I didn't visualize the angle properly but it should be off the ground enough - since again I have an extra layer of metal on the base inside the stove.
And there's nothing wrong with heating the ground - in fact you want to heat the ground. You just don't want to set the ground on fire....
Only he was measuring his legs to fit onto a platform base - unlike me.

I just felt that making the angle more narrow would make the legs more wobbly - even if the washers are not at an angle as much. The center of gravity is higher.  https://www.liteoutdoors.com/product/liteoutdoors-titanium-stove/
Hey look at that - same kind of angle I made on my stove legs!
 The position of the centre of gravity of an object affects its stability. The lower the centre of gravity (G) is, the more stable the object. The higher it is the more likely the object is to topple over if it is pushed. ... The higher the centre of gravity the more likely an object is to topple over if it is tilted.
So this definitely gets the stove off the ground enough to prevent any burning. And it's close enough to the ground to heat the ground - which is a plus.
And the legs are very stable. This ingenious design by Dave enables the legs to be taken off for easier transport in a backpack.
 Yeah I can just get 6 inch machine screws to raise it up an inch more.








So now the popcorn bucket - for cooking - is held firm between the legs - and that also stabilizes the legs better.




There you have it folks - the vagaries of putting on tent wood stove legs.



https://elixirfield.blogspot.com/2020/01/vagaries-of-installing-new-stove-legs.html scroll way down for the images I took of the new stove legs! I wanted it to be lower center of gravity. So I'm happy with it but I guess I could get 6 inch metal screws if I wanted to. thanks again. This was fun - and only cost about $12.50




YES - I did have some warping at my smoke hole also - so that review completely makes sense. I'll see if I can add some supports or something.


No comments:

Post a Comment