Thursday, January 23, 2020

Reclaiming the Popcorn Bucket stove as cook surface, heat exchanger and support legs for 2.5 gallon waste basket tent backpacking wood stove

So I can heat up water or fry and cook food on that thin steel flat top - in contrast to the previously curved surface.

So then the side metal will also soak up and radiate more heat.

And so the nice thing is I didn't have to cut a new chimney hole - I just had to expand it a bit and turn it out the opposite way - to then slide on the popcorn bucket!

So then the support legs stick out just enough to stop the cylindrical stove from wobbling over and falling onto its side.

This makes me appreciate the popcorn bucket front door more - it works and the edges make a tight fit - so I guess I'll keep it for now since it matches the rest of the popcorn bucket!! And I'll keep the stove lid around in case I need to switch it out later.

So like I said - I just had to slide on the hole that I had already cut - presto! A moment of genius?

So then the grill barbeque - will keep the stove elevated enough to dissipate the heat off the ground in the tent. The tent will not have a floor - so no need to worry about the tent floor getting too hot. Only the concern is the ground catching fire - from roots or leaves.

I'll try to set up some side pieces of metal to "lock" this in better - I have more pieces of the barbeque grill set - I can just squeeze them between those side bars I think and that will "lock" in the stove better.

Here is a great shot of my now infamous design. So there is a partial baffle under the chimney flue uptake - forcing the flames back into themselves. The bottom metal piece creates a secondary burn channel to the back of the stove - due to the pressure difference from the heat in the back sucking in the cold air - and pre-heating the air. So that creates extra oxygen in the back for a secondary clean burn of the flame that has been redirected into itself. Pretty awesome how that design fell into place. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment