Friday, August 7, 2026

how to make your own Organic Xylitol Spearmints to save $125 over conventional xylitol spearmints!!

 Daily endogenous production of xylitol is 1-4 g. Xylitol derives from the catabolism in liver and kidney of D-glucuronate released from

Wow just made my first batch of Organic spearmint xylitol mints! They are super yummy - no "magnesium stearate." I used a half of pound of xylitol ($5) on the stove at 3 heat setting to melt the crystals down. I stirred in $7 worth of organic spearmint oil - one small bottle (from my local food co-op and it is a local essential oil company all organic). 

I poured into the 165 cube silicone tray and waited about a half hour. When I popped out the tray - the crystals now were perfect mint size and easily popped out of the silicone trays! I poured into the center of the trays and let it flow outwards. I lost some xylitol on the pan as it cooled and on the edge of the trays. But I filled ONE bottle that would otherwise cost $14 - and now it weighs a couple ounces more -Actually then I third filled another bottle.  so it's $20 worth of Xylitol mints at the cost of $12.  But these are all organic - so they would have cost more at retail price. A 50% discount. Also there's no magnesium stearate...

Order organic xylitol crystals by the pound (at 1/5th or 20% of the price of the premade xylitol spearmints aka $11.50 a pound vs $14 for 1/4 pound)  so - $46 for four pounds organic xylitol crystals plus $56 for the spearmint oil ($100) including tax/shipping vs $224 for the premade - a savings of....$125!!

  buy silicone candy molds (135 cubes) or $3 for 

Silicone Crushed Ice Tray (165 cubes) and $10 for organic spearmint essential oil

  134 to 150 grams of granulated cooking xylitol (same as one bottle of premade xylitol spearmints) in 165 mL of volume of ONE silicone crushed ice tray. So four of those trays = 1 pound or four bottles of xylitol spearmints. 

  • Place the xylitol in your pan over medium-low heat. Heat it slowly so it melts down to a clear liquid. Do not let it boil or burn. [1, 2, 3]
  • Cool and Flavor: Take the pan off the burner and let the liquid cool for a minute so the hot syrup does not spatter. Stir in the spearmint oil quickly and thoroughly. [1, 2, 3]
  • Molding: Work fast because xylitol hardens very quickly as it cools. Pour or drop the liquid mixture into your silicone molds
  •  It hardens very hard as a crystal - needs to soak and use soap to remove from pans/utensils. 
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment