Saturday, August 28, 2021

I just lost 4 pounds in one day - while still eating a meal!! Clearing Crabgrass and other weeds.

 I spent the day weeding with a hoe - it was intense because a hoe is literally back breaking work. I tried to look up the best "hoe" posture or ergodynamics. I couldn't find any yet. I'll try later when I'm recovered. I hoed and used a "thatch rake" for about eight hours. I took three breaks of about 15 to 20 minutes each.

So I was also hauling buckets of the weeds and soil - so they buckets were heavy from the soil.

OK people were complaining about Crabgrass and since we had drought - so I planted a new "drought resistant" Tall Fescue cultivar. 

I spread Peat Moss over the seed and rake some of the seed so there is some soil over the seed.

Now we're supposed to get a long rain tonight for several hours.

I used 30% concentrated vinegar on various "weeds" around the grounds - because people were complaining about the weeds. So now there's all these yellow spots from the grass being in the way of the weeds. haha.

So I weighed FOUR POUNDS LESS from this morning - despite eating a meal for lunch. I did skip breakfast as I try to do the 16 hour fast as the Alan Goldhamer practice. This has been working well to get my weight back down. 

I eat as much as I want during the 8 hours but I was just too busy working to try weed as much crabgrass as possible. 

I aerated the lawn yesterday and I sprayed the endomycorrhizal fungal spores.

So the plan is to get the drought resistant "Tuff Turf" tall fescue going and then hopefully we'll have less Crabgrass - as most of the crabgrass grew from the drought killing the "normal" grass.

Since we went organic then I see a lot of frogs when I mow - there's over a dozen different lawn sections to mow for about an acre of lawn.

It's supposed to be a "monoculture" but obviously I'm not really into monoculture.

I thought I might get heat stroke or something - there was some close calls.

I cleared out maybe HALF of the Crabgrass - a lot of it is just sprouts.

So now we'll see if the new seed sprouts when it is cooler and the Crabgrass does not survive the first frost hopefully....

Hard to say - I'll try to keep watering as I did another planting or seeding yesterday - after clearing out crabgrass.

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment