Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Willow Palace Update! Hunting Violations?

Willow Palace (Bubble's favorite shed size as a house). I am doing a Bronze Age design - making two wattles and then packing in between with straw.


So 16 inch walls insulated. Then I'll put in a Kang bed-stove Chinese style - I got some bricks free off Craig's List. I just cut the grass with the scythe - and the neighbors cut their grass with the hay bine or whatever Mantalk word. Then just as before - I think it's the teenage son - he starts shooting off his 22 (sounds like).
 

I swear a bullet whizzed down by me - and suddenly I realized my overalls look just like a deer and I had a white t-shirt on. I took off running with the scythe. haha. The neighbor could be legally shooting at English House Sparrows? I saw one hopping around in the forest - around the same time the neighbor started shooting.  https://www.reddit.com/r/guns/comments/fbyon/how_do_i_stop_my_neighbor_from_target_practicing/c1et0my/

So a gun aficionado has the SAME problem - teenage male with a one parent household - can't get the person to stop despite trying to be nice about it. I have to be very strategic about this. First I need to find out if they have a "target" that is facing my land - I can drive by slowly. 

EFFECTIVE range of a .22lr is about 100 yards, max....The NRA puts the maximum range of a standard velocity .22 long rifle round at 1,588 yards,
What is this person has a SCOPE - and they were AIMING at me?

 Some nice sized game (and sadly even some people) have been killed from more than 100 yards with 22 LR rifles.
people have a habit of shooting guns in the air and I have seen cars and roofs of houses damaged by those slugs falling back to the ground. What if one hits someone in the head… who is responsible then? Can you say for certain that slug will fall back down onto your own property when it is nearly a mile in the air?
........................................................................................................................................................
 Thank you for contacting the Minnesota DNR.

The law for shooting is 500 feet from any dwelling or building that houses livestock. This information can be found in our 2016 Hunting and Trapping regulations.


Good Luck!


Staci Hutchinson

CSS Principal/Information Center/Office of Communication and Outreach

Minnesota Department of Natural Resources

500 Lafayette Road

St Paul, MN 55155

Phone: 651-296-6157

 

Then I go with my Orange Goop bottle to the border line. I wave it around while looking for him. Didn't see him. Went to hide in my tent - and then ONE more shot went off. I think he hunts for whatever the mowing "scurries up" in the grass. Gotta kill everything you know. I'm gonna get a blazing orange vest to wear next time I cut more grass, so no "hunting accidents" can be used as an excuse.

 
There was a ton of trees between us supposedly but I don't know where he was shooting from. This is all my assumption - maybe it was his mom?

 

Anyway haha - so yeah then I'll rake up the dried grass (hay) - it has not seeded I don't think. So then I'll make "clay slip" - and then surround the wattle with clay - horse manure Cob - and then cover it with lime wash. Still trying to figure out the roof - I think I'll use rockwool and silicone-tarps - but I need to put in cross beams - lengthwise. I have 13 rafters. haha. My "carpenter" is hilarious. I eyeballed the birdmouth cuts - and the Wall Sill sometimes is over and sometimes under the rafters! I'm going for tensgrity I think.

 I put in a center post for extra "ridge beam" stability.

My foundation post holes were not filled in properly - so there was some "wobble" to the structure - about half inch. So I pounded in some "stakes" and filled in more dirt.


 This was my first "wattle" batch - and then I got a slightly faster harvest method. It is very tedious to trim of the leaves - the first batch here I had left them on.

Hurricane tie being implemented. The willow tree was very very hard - so I switched to the power drill with screws - the cordless drill. Oh I didn't even notice my "Birdmouth" cut so that the rafter rests more on the foundation post. Yes that was BEFORE I put on the "wall sill" - why is it called a "sill"? OH - I thought the Wall Sill was on top of the foundation posts - not just along the foundation floor as well. I thought it was in both places. This must have another name.... I guess it's just "post and beam" construction - so I don't get to use fancy "mantalk" words.... WAIT - This dude just said PLATE - so is that what I said before? Wall Plate - for the rafters to sit on - from his posts

WALL PLATE - gotta get my "mantalk" right!
Yep - quoting my previous blog post!! I had forgotten my "man-talk" and I was calling it a Wall Sill - instead of its proper name - Wall Plate. oops.

Civilization in action!!

Pre-drilled with drill bits - then number 2 phillips head for the screws - 2 1/2 inch.

So the ridge beam - it's not "perfectly straight" but I'm against the whole rectilinear deal -

So I see this nice pretty bee on the big thistle flower. I am happy there are some actual wild bees and some flowers for them. Then I walk about 10 feet or 15 feet and go - Oh there's a big mushroom. I reach my hand down to see what kind of new mushroom this is? Suddenly WHAM - I get this strong sting and I go - "what was that?" Then I see the wasp  and realize it's a wasp nest - on closer look. I take out there real fast! I avoid that whole area for the rest of the build time. haha. Just goes to show Mother Nature is in control!!

The A-frame definitely solidified things. I was able to use three downed trees for this build - so one was a tamarck - I counted the rings and it was only 12 years old! I was surprised it grew that fast. So also I definitely have TWO kinds of willow trees?


The more roundish leaves grow more tree like and its a harder wood. So maybe it's not even willow? The other one is more like a shrub - but it will grow into a tree also. So I have to look into this.... It's hard to believe that it's "Black Cherry"? But I don't know what else yet. I have not noticed any black cherry flowers.... It must be Peachleaf Willow - but the leaves seem a bit wide. My guess is that it must be Peachleaf Willow. So I have both willow species native to Minnesota.

So I lost about 8 pounds in 2 days - Monday I had breakfast and then Wednesday I had a "brunch" and now late lunch.  I just drink tons of water in the forest but cutting the grass - it gets too hot and it's very strenuous since the ground level is always changing.


I'm looking forward to see how much "hay" I get - there's a lot more to cut out there on "my" land.

So I figure I got maybe a quarter done on the build - and a teepee is ten times faster to build. The frame itself is 20 times faster than the framing I did.


The "nails" - I only had a finishing hammer so it was not heavy enough. So that slowed me down.

 Framing work requires heavy hammers that can drive larger nails with force.
But I am not in a rush except against the seasons. I should be obvious that I did not use any tape measure or "square." I had to add a couple more foundation posts also.

yeah then I do a couple hours of qigong meditation - full lotus small universe - on Monday night and Tuesday night I did an hour (the gun shot stopped it) and then this morning I did two hours again.

No comments:

Post a Comment