Sunday, December 9, 2018

There Is No Observer: new movie on Ramana Maharshi philosophy: source of the sense of I.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVYv9ktilQw

I see the tree, I is the subject, tree is the object.
This individual sense of I can only subsist, as long as it is associating with something.
So what he said you should try to do is to sever the association between I the subject and all the things it thinks, remembers, perceives.
Ramana Maharshi said,
"if you can hold on unwaveringly to this inner sense of I,... then it can not persist in isolation by itself; It HAS to subside and go back to its source. When that happens, it disappears and reveals the truth of who you are."
 Ramana: "The mind always exists only in dependence on something gross; it cannot stay alone. It is the mind that is called the subtle body or the soul (jiva). (Ramana Maharshi, WHO, 13.) When one discards the Jiva (individual being) of the form ahamkara (ego-sense), which is the apparent meaning of the word “I,” what remains merely as the effulgent and conscious Atman (Self), which is the implied meaning of the “I,” is Brahman. (Ramana Maharshi, JGE, 7.)
  in the sunshine cotton does not burn; but if the cotton be placed under a lens it catches fire and is consumed by the rays of the Sun passing through the lens.
 Ramana Maharshi pointed out to us that we have a confused knowledge of what is I. Now we experience a body as I, a mind as I. We take ourselves to be a person. According to him, this is unreal. Though this is what I now seems to be, this is not what I really is. He asks us to analyze our experience in our three experiences of waking, dream and sleep. In dream we continue to experience the same I but we don't experience this same body, but we experience some other body, a mind projected body. So since we are able to experience I in dream, without experiencing this physical body, I can not be identical with this physical body. Since we now experience I, without experiencing whatever body we experience I in a dream, those bodies also can not be an I. So Any body that we experience as I is just a temporary phenomenon. It's not what I is essentially is. So we are so accustomed to experiencing multiplicity and otherness in waking and dreams, it seems to us that sleep is just a state of blank. But the same I that experiences waking and dream, Also experiences sleep. So I is the one underlying reality but supports the appearance of these three states: waking, dream and sleep.
In deep sleep, the I is in a state of ignorance. It's not aware of its self and its not aware of the Self.
In one verse he says, the pair that is referring to the world that is experienced and the I that is experiencing it SHINE in waking and dream, only by the functioning of the mind. In deep sleep BOTH fail to shine, therefore both are mental.
Reality is something which shines by its own light.


No comments:

Post a Comment