Saturday, November 10, 2018

Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto number 2, the 2nd movement: Adagio, Frisson, Phrygian

30 different recordings so far of JUST the 2nd movement!

This is now my 4th Frisson Phrygian playlist.

1) Ravel's Piano Concerto number 2, 2nd movement
2) Bach's Italian Concerto in F, 2nd movement
3) Dolores O'Riordan's song Dreams
4) Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto, the 2nd movement.

What happens is that in the comments section people like to have their Bourgeois snide "this performance is almost as good as so and so, and not as good as so, and so." So then I just collect all the performer names and do searches and I start compiling all the performances. People can judge for themselves but enjoy the archetypal power of the Phyrgian tuning of this Adagio secret (the Mozart Effect).

My "description" of the playlist:

"Those chord changes at 9:57 - 10:05 are devastating. Not in a bad way. The way that just hits you so deeply it makes the hairs rise" I.E. Frisson (skin orgasm is the French translation) from vagus nerve activation as increase in dopamine (music healing). I used to have this on cassette for Walkman listening while in the desert in New Mexico (Ghost Ranch). I thought it was my secret music bliss when in high school. I did not know anyone else who listened to this music. My piano teacher then memorized this concerto and performed it - I did not see nor hear - as it was after my training. "Pardon my vulgarity, but the section beginning at ~10:25 is an absolutely orgasmic conclusion." Again that is the secret of Frisson as vagus nerve dopamine activation from music. You're going to compose your concerto....You will work with great ease...The concerto will be of excellent quality..." So spoke Dr. Nikolai Dahl, of one of the pioneers of psychiatry in Russia, and in this way he successfully restored Sergey Rachmaninov's concentration during a period of creative despair after the failure of his first Symphony. Later, Rachmaninov himself was to write: "Even though it seems unbelievable, this therapy truly helped me. ..." and "with every note it feels as though Sergei is squeezing out my heart." yes. "The second movement opens with a series of slow chords in the strings which modulate from the C minor of the previous movement to the E major of this movement." The second and third movements were first performed with the composer as soloist on 2 December 1900. The complete work was premiered, again with the composer as soloist, on 9 November 1901, with his cousin Alexander Siloti conducting.

Hopefully youtube algorithm will be providing me with more performances of JUST the 2nd movement....

No comments:

Post a Comment